Theresa Ronna, DPM
Dr. Theresa Ronna was raised in Passaic County, and aspired to be a professional dancer. She initially attended Montclair State University as a dance major, but realized that she needed a back-up plan. Dr. Ronna’s love for science and interest in sports medicine changed her direction to pre-med.
After graduating in 1990, she attended Columbia University as a graduate student while embarking on a rare opportunity to work at Robert DeNiro’s Tribeca Film Center. In 1992, she attended the NY College of Podiatric Medicine, where she continued to excel in sports medicine and research. Dr. Ronna launched the Podiatric Medical Review, a peer reviewed journal where students can publish their work. After graduating in 1996, she did a surgical residency at United Hospital/Roseland Surgical Center.
Upon residency completion, Dr. Ronna spent three years at Naval Hospital Camp Lejuene in North Carolina. It was there that she put her knowledge of lower extremity biomechanics and sports medicine into practice as she treated Marines and sailors. During her time at Camp Lejuene, the Base General awarded her the highest civilian honor, the Naval Commendation Award, for her work as a podiatrist.
After returning to NJ, Dr. Ronna began practicing part-time and found a niche in working with the geriatric population. Branching out into diabetic wound care, she treated patients with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Currently, Dr. Ronna is a consultant podiatrist at the Christian Health Care Center and Preakness Health Care Center. She is on staff at St. Joseph’s Wayne Hospital, Patient Care Associates and Chilton’s West Parkway Ambulatory Surgical Center.
Dr. Ronna has trained with many highly regarded pioneers in the field of sports medicine. She received a stipend from Harvard Medical School to attend their summer research program, and was published as a result of her work there. Dr. Ronna also did an internship with Dr. Lyle Mikali, a Harvard Medical School professor and orthopedic surgeon who is an expert in dance medicine. She spent two subsequent years in clinical observation with William Hamilton, MD, a world-renowned orthopedic surgeon who is considered the father of dance medicine.
Dr. Ronna has been part of the medical team for several NYC marathons, pre-Olympic games, The Fourth All African games in Nairobi, Kenya, the World Games in Rome, Italy, and the Can-Am Rugby tournament in Lake Placid.
She currently resides in Bergen County with her two young boys. Her relationship with Dr. Kayal goes back many years, and she is very excited to be a part of his sports medicine group and hopes to add another dimension to the outstanding Kayal Orthopedic Center.
- Roseland Surgical Center/United Hospital Center; Roseland, NJ 8/96-8/97
- Podiatric Surgery Residency Program, completed 8/97
- New York College of Podiatric Medicine; New York, NY 9/92-5/96
- Doctorate of Podiatric Medicine, received 5/96
- Columbia University; New York, NY 9/91-5/92
- Graduate degree in Biology, received 5/92
- Montclair State University; Montclair, NJ 9/87-5/91
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, Cum Laude, received 5/91
- Clove Lakes Rehabilitation; Staten Island, NY 9/09-present. Consultant Podiatrist.
- St Joseph’s Wayne Hospital; Wayne, NJ, 2/07-present. Attending Podiatrist.
- Christian Health Care Center; Wyckoff, NJ. 2/05-present. Consultant Podiatrist Ramapo Ridge Psychiatric Hospital. Specializing in wound care and Alzheimer’s with dementia patients.
- Holland Christian Home; North Haledon, NJ. 2/05-present. Consultant Podiatrist.
- Preakness Healthcare Center; Wayne, NJ. 2/05-present. Consultant Podiatrist.
- St. Vincent Nursing Home; Cedar Grove, NJ. 2/05-present. Consultant Podiatrist.
- Terri Ronna, DPM; Wyckoff, NJ and Totowa, NJ 5/03-9/10. Private practice.
- Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune. Jacksonville, NC. 2/98-3/00. Attending Podiatric Physician and Surgeon. Provided lectures to US Navy medical personnel.
- Alan Shier, DPM; Little Falls, NJ. 12/92-8/97.
Clinical assistant. Assisted in office procedures, evaluated patients, and obtained lower extremity history and physicals.
- Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation; West Orange, NJ 5/91-5/92. Research assistant.
- Bloomfield College; Bloomfield, NJ 9/91-12/91.
Adjunct faculty member. Instructed the biology 101 laboratory course.
- Harvard Medical School; Boston, MA 5/89-8/89.
Developed patient satisfaction surveys for post mastectomy patients. Developed and assessed survey of pharmacist knowledge of AIDS prevention. Research assistant on “Comparative Treatments of Chondromalacia Patella.”
- Elizabeth General Medical Center; Elizabeth, NJ 9/88-9/89. Research assistant.
- John Prignano, DPM, Terri Ronna, DPM and Clifford Givertz, MD. “New Trends in Perioperative Anesthesia.” Published in Advances in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Mosby’s Year Book, Inc. Vol. 3 (1996).
- Terri Ronna, BS and Mark Lebwohl, MD. “Cimetidine Treatment for Plantar Warts: A Review and Case Study.” Published in JAPMA, Vol. 85 (Number 11) (11/95).
- Terri Ronna, BS.”The Biomechanical Changes to the Diabetic Foot.” Published in The Podiatric Medical Review, the official student journal of NYCPM, Vol. I (Number 1) (6/95).
- Paul Cleary, PhD, Terri Ronna, BS and Michelle Costanzo, BS. “Pharmacist Knowledge of AIDS Prevention.” Harvard Medical School, 1989. Published in American Journal of Public Health, Vol. 80 (Number 11) (11/90).
- Dennis Sandrock, PhD and Terri Ronna, BS. “Impaired Visual Memory of the WMS-R in Affective Disorders: Correlates of Right Hemisphere Dysfunction.” Accepted for poster presentation at the National Academy of Neurophysiologist conference in Washington, DC (1989).
- John McNernery, DPM, Podiatric Surgeon and Sports Medicine Specialist; Westwood, NJ (7/95).
- Lyle Micheli, MD, Orthopedic Surgeon, Sports Medicine Specialist. Children’s Hospital; Boston, MA (8/89).
- William Hamilton, MD, Orthopedic Surgeon Dance Medicine Specialist. Miller Health Care Institute for the Performing Arts; New York, NY (9/89-5/90).
- “Podiatric Medical Review,” the official student journal of NYCPM; Editor-in-Chief (1994-1995).
- NYCPM Student Chapter of the American Podiatric Medical Writers Association; President (1994-1995).
- NYCP Chapter of the Christian Medical and Dental Society; President (1993-1999).
- Student Chapter of the American College of Podiatric Sports Medicine; Events Coordinator (1994-1995).
- Christian Medical and Dental Association; Surgical Team Assistant during short-term mission trip to Macas, Ecuador (9/95).
- The New York City Marathon; Student Medical Assistant (1992, 1993, and 1994).
- New York City March of Dimes Walk-A-Thon; Student Medical Assistant (1993).
- The Fourth AH-African Games; Nairobi Kenya; Clinical Assistant for Team Physicians (1987).
- The World Games; Rome, Italy; Clinical Assistant for Team Physicians (1987).
- The Can Am National Rugby Tournament; Lake Placid, NY. Clinical Assistant for Team (1986).
- Letter of Commendation from Commanding General, Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune (5/99).
- Certificate of Recognition from Onslow County Council for Women (3/00).
- American Podiatric Medical Writers Award (1996).